The Making of Cobra Prince

Hi all, My name is Philip Herman. I want to share my knowledge of how I created The Cobra Prince. I used 3DS Max, and Vray for render.


There are a lot of ways to model, but for me when I saw a modeling tutorial on how to model Joan of Arc (great tutorial from Michel Roger), my style of modeling isn’t so different (using patch modeling).

For the cloth I utilize the 3dmax cloth simulation to achieve the most realistic result.

After I finish all the modeling, now that the figure is in a default type of pose, I chose to manually model him into the pose instead of using character rig to do so


I used a free downloadable software called Deep UV and Texporter to help me unwrap it. With Deep UV I modified the UVs in space to create the UV layout that allows easy texture painting, both in 2D and 3D. And I use Photoshop CS2 for texturing. This is a sample of my texture.

For the armor, I use shellac material in Max. This is the setting of the armor material.

For lighting, I used 13 omni lights, 2 direct lights, and 4 vray lights. This is the position of the lights.

Resulting render was done in 3D Max 6. Rendering was done in Vray 1.09.This is the render setting:

The final image was color corrected, and I put some background and some effects in Photoshop CS2
Hope you enjoyed this making of and found it helpful. Thanks for reading.
Philip10’s profile
Philip’s Gallery
Talk about this article on the Forum >>
3DExport Buy & Sell 3D Models

About The Author